To: Leica-users <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: 20mm Russar
From: Thomas Pindelski <ThomasP@POSTOFFICE.nacm.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 96 07:21:00 PDT
Encoding: 19 TEXT

No working results yet (as an amateur dabbler it takes me a while to get
through a roll of film) but I checked the viewfinder against my Leicaflex SL
with 21mm Super Angulon on board (talk of bulk!) and can confirm that the
Russian finder shows just a little more all around which sounds right as it
is a 20mm.  There is significant aberration towards the edges of the field
and this is not a brightline finder, but it seems pretty accurate, and at
<$450 for lens and finder that can't be bad!

I also note that adjustment of the recessed aperture ring is better done
with two diametrically opposed fingers; using one tends to make the ring
stiff, presumably because of binding.

The front element seems recessed enough to make a lens hood redundant, by
the way.

Results later.

Thomas