To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M quality
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 22:24:20 -0400

At 04:39 PM 8/16/96 PDT, Thomas Pindelski wrote:

>I would be interested in this list's opinions on when M construction quality
>peaked, and which are the worst years/models.
>
>For example, you occasionally read that the twin stroke M3 was the best
>made, the >1,000,000 M3 is the best, etc.

They're ALL good!  The Wartime years saw some shortages of materials like
chrome, but, other than that, Leicas were and are made with meticulous precison.

I've owned a slew of Leicas from a IIIa to an M6, and I have said on this
List a number of times (cries of "Boring!" and "You already said that!" fill
the room ...) -- the M6 is as well made as any and has some internal design
features which I find make it a better-thought-out tool than even the early
M3 or the M4, both of which ARE awesome competition.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!