To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Nikon SP
From: TONY GALT <galta@GBMS01.UWGB.EDU>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 09:53:50 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 17 Aug 1996, Stark wrote:

> To the group: I have the opportunity to purchase a Nikon SP-Nikkor 1.4 >
f=5cm and I would like your opinion on this camera, I have never had this
> model so I do not have anyway to make a comparison I.E. III-G M-3 Est. >
the camera is in very good shape and I would like to buy it as a user, any
> and all opinions are welcome.  Good Evening---Tony Stark >

I own a Leica M3 and a Nikon SP. The Nikon sits unused most of the time.
Although marvelously replete with features that Leica would only come
around to later, the Nikon just doesn't have the precision feel of the
Leica and its rangefinder isn't the simple clear focusing tool
that the Leica has. The Leica is simple and elegant -- the Nikon is
fiddley. Take the lens mount. The Nikon has both and internal bayonet and
an external one, inherited from the Contax. The little focus wheel focuses
normal lenses adequately (and in fact, when I bought it used in 1973, the
salesman claimed that that rangefinder Nikons had a market among single
amputee photographers), but doesn't have the power to move the larger
barrels on other lenses. Also I find it rather harsh on the forefinger,
although I suppose if one became a dedicated Nikon SP user one might
develop a protective callous. An then there is the problem of lens
rotation, which would complicate using a polariser. A look at the lever
winder shows the difference in construction approaches between the two
companies. The Leica lever is a slab of metal (not sure whether brass or
something stronger) with a certain massiveness. Winding the camera is very
sure and precise. The Nikon level is actually hollow underneath and feels
light and even flimsy. Leica feel provides more pleasure in use than
Nikon rangefinder feel.

As a user camera i would always chose the Leica, especially as
accessories for the Nikon are hard to find and the prices are being
driven up by the collector market. I'm going to hang on to mine as a
collectable (and maybe sell it one day when the price is right).

Tony Galt
Editor H-SAE (Discussion Group for the Anthropology of Europe)
Professor of Anthropology and Social Change and Development
College of Community Sciences
University of Wisconsin -- Green Bay 54311-7001
Green Bay, WI 54311-7001 USA
Telephone: 414-465-2349/2355
Fax: 414-465-2791
E-mail: GALTA@UWGB.EDU