To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #160
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 12:52:41 PST

** Reply to note from John_McLeod@designlink.com (John McLeod) 19 Aug 1996 15:51:26 GMT

> I also own a Canon EOS-1n.  While the Canon is an incredible picture-taking
> machine and the Leica M is compact and jewel-like in its operation, I would
> have more trouble parting with the R6 than any camera I own.  I enjoy the
> feel of the camera, its balance between simplicity and features, and the
> quiet, yet solid, sound of its shutter.  I realize few will agree with the
> above, but it forward nonetheless as conclusions from my own experience.

On the issue of R cameras, it's not the Minolta heritage of the shell
that counts, bit some of the parts inside being Minolta (mostly the
advance mechanism) that probably contribute. The weak part of most R
cameras in my experience is the film advance, the lack of fast flash sync
and that's about it. Not AF, that's ony important to people like me that
shoot a lot of action. I too use the EOS1n, but wish I could also keep an
R system hand along with my M. But at this point, I can't afford to do
that, since I work for a newspaper (i.e. cheapskates).

Otherwise, I'm in complete agreement with you. I've used R cameras since
'81 - R3, R4mot, R4, R4s, R4sP, R7. Of those, the best is the R7, but of
the others, R4 and R4sP. The are wonderful tools once you get to kow
them.

Regards,

Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR