To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Recoating Leica Lens
From: adl@sirius.com
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 14:47:33 -0800

I recently bought a 50mm f2 Summicron Dual Range lens at a local photoswap
and cosmetically was in mint- condition and the outside elements are super
clean.  It came with the bugeyes and the Leica lens case.  After getting
home I then noticed that the inside of the rear element's coating has been
pretty much scraped off in a circular motion. After very close inspection,
I noticed that there are spanner marks on the rear lens retainer ring and
that confirmed my suspicion.  Unfortunately I cannot return the lens to the
seller who lives out of the area.

The only option I have left is to send the lens into someone who can recoat
the lens.  Now the question is,  since the lens is single coated and is the
typical "blue" coating, will the new coating match the existing coating and
how will it affect the performace of the lens?  Better, equal, or worse?

Finally, I didn't get the name and address of the person who does recoating
of lenses and if someone can repost it I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Alvin