To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Multigrade and V35
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 17:44:15 PST

** Reply to note from "C.M. Fortunko" <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov> Sat, 31 Aug 1996 09:15:45 -0600

> Last night I did some printing again. I used my V35 with color module and
> Multigrade IV (pearl) paper and I am less than happy with the results.

What's wrong with the pictures? Too flat? Too contrasty?

You have to set up your own filtration settings, because every darkroom
has it's own way of screwing you up. <g>

I used to use a V35 in journalism school with the color head. But that
was a long time ago. Have you picked up the book "Leica Darkroom
Practice?" It's a good book for using the V35.

Personally, if you like mostly black and white, the vario contrast head
is much better in the V35. Very simple, continuous filter settings from 0
to 5.

Another thing is that the pearl surface isn't glossy (I know you know
that part) which means it will print flatter than with glossy paper. So
you might have to give it more magenta.

Also, make sure the cyan is at 0. Sometimes a combination of Yellow and
Magenta gives you neutral density at some settings to keep exposures
consistent. But you need someone's scale for that, or test for your own.
Not a trick I'd want to do.

Regards,

Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR