To: joe-b@dircon.co.uk
Subject: Re: Focusing slop on 50/1.4 Summilux-M
From: Roger Flanigan <istr1848@fox.nstn.ca>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 21:58:04 -0700
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

joe b. wrote:

> Things are too quiet round here. SO I'm going to ask a question.
>
> I have found a 50/1.4 Summilux-m in very nice condition, but haven't
> actually seen it. The only thing that bothers me is that there is
> apparently a slight slop of the focusing action. The dealer who has it
> (Fieldgrass & Gale, London) says it's just one of those things- it
> happens sometimes but it isn't a sign of anything bad and isn't a
> problem in use. I would appreciate any comments on this phenomenon. So
> far, I'm inclined to get it.
> --
> joe b.

Please define "slop"
Uneveness in the focussing action is usually an indication of trouble.
It could be caused by excessive wear of the helical mount or by impact
damage. Then again it may only be a case of the grease having dried out
and thickened with age, but even this condition would require a
relatively expensive repair job as it would mean disassembling the lens,
cleaning out all the old grease, polishing the helical mount and
re-greasing. My advice is to keep looking (unless it's a real bargain).
There are plenty of other 50 Summiluxes out there in fine shape with no
"slop" in the focus action.

Regards,
Roger J. Flanigan

Replies: Reply from "joe b." <joe-b@dircon.co.uk> (Re: Focusing slop on 50/1.4 Summilux-M)