To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Seriously low resolution Russian lens?
From: "joe b." <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 23:56:50 +0100

I've just visited the Kiev Report home page and if you follow the link
to "35mm RFs" then down at the bottom, past all the Feds and such is a
data table for Leica thread lenses that gives figures for resolution.
And guess what- the figures are identical with what was on the
certificate that accompanied my Jupiter 9 85mm/f2 lens; centre 30, edge
18. Except that it says "lp/mm" which would presumably stand for "line
pairs per mm". And most of the other LTM lenses are comparable, but I
recall the 28mm Orion stands out somewhat with a central resolution of
45 lp/mm. Curiouser and curiouser! So maybe these resolution figures
were arrived at using a method that fails to do these lenses justice? In
any event, my 85/2 Jupiter 9 would appear to be average for this lens.
But I still fail to understand what is going on here...
--
joe b.