To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Dark Rangefinder
From: focalpt@ecentral.com (John Van Stelten)
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 08:15:30 -0600

>Hello.  I have a Leica M3 and the rangefinder is very dim.  It is virtually
>impossible to focus in dim light and sometimes quite difficult in bright
>sunlight.  The ghost image (the part that moves side to side when focusing)
>is very dim, but the stationary part of the rangefinder is easily seen.
>How can this be corrected?  Is something dirty or cloudy in the rangefinder
>mechanism?  Please help me with a frustrating aspect of what is otherwise
>an excellent camera.  Thanks!  Also, what is the filter size of the 50mm
>Summicron f2.0 collapsible?

>Paul Gong                                 __  __     ____  ___       ___ ____
>paulaxem@primenet.com                    /__)/__) / / / / /_  /\  / /_    /

Paul,

This problem is usually do to a film that has developed on the very small
prism inside the rangefinder. However it can also be do to bad cement in
the beamsplitter cube.Either way it can be remedied. The filter size for
the 50mm Summicron is 38mm.

--------------------------John Van Stelten
focalpt@ecentral.com