To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M3 and Wide Angle
From: "Roger L. Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 12:59:52 -0700 (MST)

>I've owned all versions of the 35mm Summicron, several of each, in
>fact.   I found the current version the weakest of the lot for resolution,
>contrast, and saturation.  There are a lot of others out there who feel the
>same -- if naught else, look at the selling prices on these lenses:  the
>first-generation Summicron brings as much as a nice clean new one.
>
>Marc

I've only owned the latest version and have no background in others with
which to compare. It seems acceptable in the parameters mentioned above for
me, *but* the dog-gone thing is terribly prone to flare, big time! Since I
do a great deal of photographing into the desert sun, I'll probably trade it
(cost be damned) for the 1.4/35 ASPH, if it is significantly better with
regard to flare. Any comments on flare comparison between the two? Is it
logical to assume that the coma free aspect of the 1.4/35 ASPH will also
mean little flare?
     --
     Roger Beamon,  Naturalist & Photographer
                               Docent:  Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum