To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M3 and Wide Angle
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 17:52:54 -0400

At 12:59 PM 9/11/96 -0700, Roger Beamon wrote:

>>Marc
>
>I've only owned the latest version and have no background in others with
>which to compare. It seems acceptable in the parameters mentioned above for
>me, *but* the dog-gone thing is terribly prone to flare, big time! Since I
>do a great deal of photographing into the desert sun, I'll probably trade it
>(cost be damned) for the 1.4/35 ASPH, if it is significantly better with
>regard to flare. Any comments on flare comparison between the two? Is >it
logical to assume that the coma free aspect of the 1.4/35 ASPH will >also
mean little flare?

I've never shot with either of the aspherical 35's and will probably only do
so when I can luck into one used at a cheap, cheap, cheap price (which will
happen:  all things come to Leicaphiles who are patient!),

I've never experienced any flare problems with any 35mm Summicron design
even shooting on open snow fields into the sun (which I do regularly), nor
have I encountered this with the 1.4/35 Summilux I use now.  But many, many
others have complained of this, and I understand that Leica had this
specifically in mind when they whoomped up the ASPH Summilux.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!