To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M6 - whirring noise
From: captyng@vtx.ch (Gerard Captijn)
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 08:59:15 +0200

Your observation is perfectly in order. The long shutterspeeds of the Leica
M6 are controlled by a mechanical assembly that controls the start of the
travel of the second shutter curtain. The longer the speed set, the later
the second curtain closes. The sound you heard is the spinning of the
geartrain that controls the long speeds (you hear it at best at 1/15th second).

Another advantage of mechanical components: they sing and dance while with
electronics its the silence of a cimetary!

Gerard Captijn,
Geneva, Switzerland.

>Some question was raised some time ago whether the M6 made a whirring noise
>upon shutter release.  I happened to have my M6 out for the first time since
>this discussion and put my ear on the back of the camera and released the
>shutter.  From about 1/8 th  and longer there was a whirring noise after the
>shutter closed which noise was longer as the shutter time increased.  Are
>there some that don't whirr?????
>
>Mind boggling questions like this are always investigated on drippy, rainy
>days like we have been having.  Well you have to do something when you can't
>take pictures and don't have a darkroom any more!!
>
>Dick Hemingway
>norman, OK

INTERNET PROVIDER: GROUPE VTX
                   CH-1009 PULLY