To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M3 and Wide Angle
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 07:27:49 -0400

I found Erwin Puts' posting on his own test results with the 35mm and 50mm
Summicrons.  That his results do not jive with mine -- nor, for the 50mm,
with the Japanese test results I posted some weeks ago -- merely proves the
validity of each of us working with our own lenses for our own purposes.
One caveat, though:  early lenses, especially, vary a good deal and testing
ought not be based upon one exemplar.

My experiences are based on the ownership and use, over the past several
years, of two first-generation 35mm's, two current-production 35mm's, one
35mm Summilux, two collapsible 50mm's, two rigid 50mms', one NF 50mm, three
intermediate 50mm's, and two current 50mm's, as well as current version of
the 50mm Summilux.

I have retained for my own use the 35mm Summilux, one collapsible 50mm, the
rigid 50mm NF, and the 50mm Summilux.

The Japanese tests, unhappily, were flawed, as were Mr Puts' tests, by being
performed upon only one exemplar of each version of the 50mm Summicron.

Marc
msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!