To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Schneider 35mm/f2.8 Xenogon LTM
From: Jack Campin <jack@purr.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 15:54:30 +0000

Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> wrote:
> For those of you suffering from flare on your 35mm Summicrons and
> Summiluxes, perhaps the best answer would be to pick up one of the late
> production 2.8/35 Jupiter-12's made in Russia.  These are Leica-thread-
> mount versions of the superb Bertele Biogon design of the 1930's; they
> are, for the most part, rather well made, inexpensive, and coated.  Of
> course, you need an adapter ring, but machts nichts: it's a super lens
> and I've NEVER heard of flare problems from the Biogon!  A clean answer
> to the problem for about $100.

My 35mm LTM lens is a Schneider f2.8 Xenogon (uncoated).  Is this the same
design?  The major problem with it is that the filter size is A36, which is
way too small - stick anything on the front and it'll vignette.  It also
seems to vignette a bit all on its own, wide open.

A 2.8 isn't really a substitute for a 1.4, is it?  I wish I could afford a
faster 35mm - I'd happily put up with more weight and flare.  The Xenogon
hardly ever gets used.

jack@purr.demon.co.uk  -  Jack Campin, 2 Haddington Place, Edinburgh EH7 4AE