To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: [Fwd: What to get: Leica R4, R4s, R5??]
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 21:18:51 -0400 (EDT)

At 08:33 PM 9/12/96 -0700, you wrote:
>From: bernard.k@SanDiegoCA.NCR.COM (Bernard Kampmann)
>Newsgroups: rec.photo.misc
>Subject: What to get: Leica R4, R4s, R5??
>Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 08:37:13
>
>I am looking for a reasonable priced used Leica "R" body.
>There are quite a number of R4 ones for sale here in southern
>California, some more R4s and a very few R5.
>Concidering that I probably can live without some of the functions,
>I would appreciate any advise on the pro's and con's of the models?
>Anything to avoid? What would be a fair price in good condition?
>Will the R5 drop in price with the rumored introduction of a R ('8'?).
>Thanks in advance.
>Bernard

I would avoid R4's of all vintages but the very last.  The R4 and R4s had
major electrical problems which Leitz couldn't fix for most of the
production run.  Believe me, I know--I had three of them, the first of which
was repaired 5 different times by Leica USA, and the other two of which
failed.  (To their credit, in the end Leica USA gave me an R4SP--but their
technical people confirmed what I had experienced and what the rumor mill
said--the R4 had many problems, through a sequence of several different
electronics manufacturers).  The proof of the pudding here is the low prices
for used R4's as compared with R5's--after all, there is little significant
difference between the two, yet the R5 sells for twice as much!  I strongly
recommend an R4SP (by then they got it fixed) or an R5--or, for the budget
minded, the R3, which, despite someone's post a while ago, was, from all I
have heard and experienced, quite reliable, with the exception of the motor
for the R3-MOT.
Charles E. Love, Jr.
517 Warren Place
Ithaca, New York