To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: curious about whining sound from R6 and R6.2
From: "joe b." <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 07:10:17 +0100

In article <9609142321.AA05339@thillana.lcs.mit.edu>, Patrick Sobalvarro
<pgs@thillana.lcs.mit.edu> writes
>I'm curious about something I've noticed with both my R6 and R6.2.
>Occasionally after I've tripped the shutter, the camera makes a little
>mechanical whining sound for about half a second.  It's almost
>inaudible.  The sound is similar to the kind that a mechanical timer
>release would make on an older camera (although the R6 and R6.2 use an
>electronic timer connected to the electromagnetic shutter release that
>the camera has so it can be used with winders, if I remember
>correctly, so that's not it).
>It may be that it happens mostly after I've used a slow speed like
>1/15th, although I'm not absolutely sure.  Shutter speeds seem to be
>perfectly accurate when I shoot chromes, and I don't think there's
>anything wrong with the bodies, but I'm curious about the sound.
>Anybody have any ideas?

Well this won't help much, but I've just played with my R6 and there are
positively no whining noises at any sound level to be heard after the
shutter closes, at any speed. But my M6 does do this, and my Rollei 35S
does it also and its a sort of aftercreak, or afterwhirr, for want of a
better word. Maybe someone hid an R7 body inside my R6 as a prank...
--
joe b.