To: "'leica-users'" <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: 35 mm Asph. Titanium Tight !
From: KEVIN BURKE <KBURKE@iterated.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 96 10:19:00 EDT
Encoding: 30 TEXT

>>These lenses are very sturdy and simple. Don't be afraid to go inside and
[...]

>Good luck for sure! There is no way I would ever recommend anyone taking
>their lenses apart.

>[...]

>Eric Welch

I have to vote for avoiding the DIY route as well.  If the construction of
the lens is as
simple as described, I would like to be able to do minor maintenance myself
as well.
But, for what the 35/1.4 ASPH costs, I wouldn't use it as a first
experience.  I've
unscrewed the major cells of view camera lenses but they seem pretty trivial
by
comparison.  A friend of mine cleaned and relubed his Nikkor 35/2 MF himself
and
three months later needed to do it again.

I've had several M lenses since new that seemed unusually tight.  Through
use they
smoothed out and are almost effortless to use.  I agree that if there is a
scraping sound
or binding in a particular spot it should be looked at.

 - Kevin