To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Your Thoughts on Flash Units ... M6
From: Brian Reid <reid>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 96 13:10:12 PDT
Cc: reid

I have a Vivitar 5600 flash (top of the line 10 years ago),
a lower-cost Vivitar bare-bulb flash that I can't find right now to
read the model number from, and various Canon flashes. Mostly these
days I use studio strobes (Speedotron) but I sometimes use the
"flash gun" units as a way of triggering the big lights.

The workmanship in the Vivitar units just hasn't held up. They were
fine when they were new, but they don't like to be dropped or knocked
around. Vivitar has a system that is like Metz' "SCA" (in fact, Vivitar
invented it), but the Vivitar workmanship is such that if you go to buy
a new bottom part 5 years after you've bought the top part, they don't
mesh well.

I bought the Vivitar when I was an employee of a university. It was all
I could afford at the time. If I had the extra money I would very
definitely spend it buying higher quality.

But most of the photography that I use my Leicas for doesn't use flash.
I think of it as an available-light camera; when I want to use flash I
don't usually use a Leica. (These days I use my new Rollei TLR, which
I've had for a couple of months).

Brian Reid

Replies: Reply from "Glenn Wm. Thrall" <gthrall@ix.netcom.com> (Re: Your Thoughts on Flash Units ... M6)