To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Yet more
From: dlevy@worldy.com
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 09:40:20 -0400

At 02:46  26/09/96 BST-1, you wrote:
>I've read somewhere that screw thread Leica lenses can be used on M
>series bodies with the appropriate adaptor, and that when this is done,
>fitting the lenses brings up the correct bright-line in the M finder.
>
>How does this work, and where is the gizmo which tells the camera what
>focal length lens is fitted? If the gizmo is on the adaptor, rather than
>the lens, how do you set it, and is it quick to do?
>
>Are the adaptors expensive? Does anyone use this technique, and if s do
>you have an adaptor per screw lens to speed up lens changing?
>
>It's just I was thinking of getting some screw-thread stuff now, but
>buying an M6 some day. I'd want an M fit standard lens then, I think, but
>it would be nice to know that the 35 and 90 would work on it while I
>saved the pennies.

The adaptors were (are?) made by Leica. Each is about $50-70 U.S. used. It
is made to bring up the correct bright frame in the M series cameras THere
is nothing on the adaptor to set. Each adaptor is cut to bring up the
correct brightline. I have 2 of these, a 135 and a 50. It will not speed up
lens changing in my opinion, since when I remove mine then lens unscrws and
thereafter I have to remove the adaptor. This appears to be the rule, since
Leica molded the 'tool' into the plastic back caps (3 nipples which fit into
corresponding cutouts on the adaptor). If you get the adaptor, make sure you
have one of these, else you will have to work at getting the adaptor off.
Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto, Ont.
dlevy@worldy.com