To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Summars & the Quest for Sharpness at the Expense of Imagery
From: fl1pper@frii.com
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 08:43:03 -0600 (MDT)

>Summars & the Quest for Sharpness at the Expense of Imagery
>

>Book after book downgrades the lens and its so so
>sharpness---recommending  in no uncertain terms not to waste time buying
>or using it.
>
>Yet it is one of my favorite lenses.
>
>In fact, I love that lens, but NOT for its sharpness--because it is NOT
>sharp.
>
>   Everyone seems to talk about how sharp a lens
>is, instead of what images they have taken with it.

>   Yet, the average Leica shooter usually puts up
>their nose at such outdated unsharp lenses, and spends their time trying
>to get the sharpest lenses instead of getting the best photographs.

>I love this guy. Thanks Gandy, for the thoughts. Per your info, I am
intrigued but am now aware that the example I am in touch with is
overpriced. I may skip the IIIa and buy a Summar 50 f/2.

I am pleased to see reality boiled down to its essence in the above
statements. I have a photo (in a book) of Cartier-Bresson using an old 30's
Leica and I wonder how it would fare on todays "bench" tests.

My grandfather used to say, "A poor carpenter blames his tools.", in our
world of immediate results and engineered obsolescence this is a pearl of truth.
ben holmes