To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Some Leica moments to share
From: cmiller@berkshire.net (Curt Miller)
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 20:30:58 -0400 (EDT)

Dear group,

I had a wonderful experience today that seemed worth sharing.  I spent the
afternoon with a charming fellow by the name of Stefan Larant, at his nearby
home.  Mr. Larant has been identified as the "godfather of photojournalism."
His dosier is indeed replete with mementos of the early days of the art: he
was editor-in-chief of "Picture Post" magazine (London) in 1938.  Before
this (and 2 years before "Life" magazine, as he reminded me) he actually
started several others, including "Das Magazine" (Germany).

This 95 1/2 year old gentleman had so many rich stories to tell about his
life and about the history of the use of the favorite subject matter of this
group.  When I asked him if he worked with Kertesz or Eisenstadt, he
bellowed in his Hungarian accent:  "what do you mean did I work with them?
They worked FOR me!"  Wow, was I quickly put in my place!  He knew them all.
Maholy-Nagy, Bourke-White, etc., etc.  He also was friends with so many of
the film stars of the era...and they with him.

Mr. Larant indicated that he got his first Leica early on.  He amazed me
with his detailed recollection of the intro in 1926 and how the folks from
Leitz discussed the camera with him.  He used the Leica and also an Ermanox.
He shared with me so many of the images he had taken with them - in the
original paste-ups for his magazine.

His life didn't always go smoothly.  A few days after Hitler gained power in
1933 - the events surrounding which he saw in person - Larant was imprisoned
(and the book he wrote about it sold 1 million copies he informed me).

I can't tell you how powerful and moving this experience was for me.  This
man is probably one of the few surviving members of a group that so
profoundly influenced photography in the 20th century (and also the
development of the Leica).  It also amazed me to find out he lives only 5
minutes from me!  I did take a roll of available light portraits of him as
well...with my Leica, of course.  Has anyone else ever heard of this gent?

Curt

Replies: Reply from Brian Reid <reid> (Re: Some Leica moments to share)