To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M6 emotive quality
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 13:08:37 -0400

Once again, I find myself disagreeing with Mr Love.

I used to be a journalist.  I take a lot of people pictures.  I'm pretty
active in community affairs and find myself photographed with some
frequency.  I know that how I react to being photographed has affected how I
photograph others, and its a matter of politeness.

Simply put, when others photograph me, if they come at me with a wide-angle
lens and get in my face, my reaction starts with my right hand and ends with
my middle finger.  They can bloody well back off and photograph me from
across the room.

Thus, I do almost all my people shots with either an 85mm or a 90mm lens,
rarely with a 50mm, and never with anything wider.  I simply don't have to
be jumping down a guy's face to relate to him.  If you want to take people
pictures, then learn how to relate without being offensively close.

I suppose you'll next suggest that doing the macarena is a necessary part of
photography as well?
msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

Replies: Reply from "Michael L. Gardner" <mikeg@neca.com> (Re: M6 emotive quality)