To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, dlevy@worldy.com
Subject: Re[2]: CL vs CLE features?
From: Pablo_Mendoza@ROOSEVELT-PROVOST.ucsd.edu
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 12:45:00 -0700

     Some Differences between CL Lenses and CLE Lenses

     CL Lenses

     40 Summicron-C and the 90 Elmar-C both have Series 5.5 filter holders.
     The combination Hood and filter holder must be used to retain the
     filter.

     40 M-Rokkor (first version) and the 90 M-Rokkor (first version) have
     40.5 mm filter threads.  The 90 M-Rokkor is unique because it was the
     Elmar-C with a 40.5mm filter thread.  It is the only lens, to my
     knowledge, that Leitz ever made with another company name on it.

     All four of these lenses have a steeper cam than that on a standard
     M-Lenses.

     CLE Lenses

     The 28, 40 (second version), 90 (second version) M-Rokkors are all new
     barrels, with slightly tweaked formulas on the 40 & 90.  The filter
     thread is 40.5 mm.

     The 90 M-Rokkor will key the 90mm framelines on an M. Depending on the
     particular sample of the 40 M-rokkor, it will usually key the 50 mm,
     but two or three that I have seen at camera shows have actually keyed
     the 35mm framelines.  The 28 does not key the 28/90framelines, but the
     50/75 lines instead.  You can have it specially modified to do it.  Or
     like I do, just use the 28mm Briteline finder.

     The cams on the post 1980 M-Rokkors are the same steepness as the
     M-lenses.

     Just a note, the CLs also differ from the CLEs in one important facet,
     the mount on the CLs is not as strong as that of the M.  The CLE mount
     is an exact copy of the M mount.

     Just my $.02.

     Pablo
     pmendoza@ucsd.edu