To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Emotive lenses
From: creadick@nando.net (Nowell & Jennifer Creadick)
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1996 22:15:49 -0400 (EDT)

At 12:27 PM 10/4/96, dlevy@worldy.com wrote:
>At 09:13  04/10/96 -0400, you wrote:
>>Prior posts:
>>... Somehow the lenses have
>>the ability to make the subject pop out from the background in an uncanny
>>way.  ...
>>... some inferior Japanese lenses are very sharp yet don't have the same
>>emotive quality; rather it seems to be an ability to differentiate planes
>>somehow or to somehow create the illusion of three dimensions in a
>>two-dimensional medium more so than is true of other lenses.
>>
>>Rather than *specifications* Leica lenses truly do have *character*. As
>>hard as that variable is to scientifically quantify and replicate, to the
>>frustration of many, it is no less true despite what some would have us
>>believe.
>
>How true,
>
>This was proved to me when I was in several slide competitions several years
>ago. For the fist several, I had produced entries from my etrs with the 35mm
>back. The very last slide in the series was from the Leica. When it was
>shown, more than several noticed the difference. Some of the 'older' (more
>experienced?) among them almost immediately asked if the single slide had
>been taken with a Leica. The etrs slides were more than equal to the
>competition and some had thought they were from a Nikon so it wasn't
>attributable alone to that the etrs. To this day, there appears to be more
>'involvement' emotionally when the Leica is used than other cameras exhibit.
>
>As an audiophile, I equate this listening to 2 excellent systems. I would
>equate the Leica with the system using tudes and the others to the solid
>state system. The solid state system may be more analytical, but sometimes
>as a result the sum does not equal the parts. Now, the only problem, where
>does the 12AX7 go in the M6?
>Brian Levy, J.D.
>Toronto, Ont.
>dlevy@worldy.com

Brian I have to add a big ditto here as a Leica user and a tube amp user.
Rock and roll guitar players tend to depend on the listener-friendliness of
their old Fender and  Marshall tube amps in their work, and I really
suspect most Leica users would appreciate the sound of a nicely set up
Macintosh stereo (and a Macintosh computer that doesn't have tubes but is
almost as friendly/emotive!)

Chapel Hill, NC

Although love may fail, courtesy should prevail.