To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Mugged!
From: "Glenn Wm. Thrall" <gthrall@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 1996 21:22:23 -0700

William Smith wrote:

> Is it necessary to mention that the muggers are Hispanic?
> Just wondering.

I see no problem one way or another. It describes the suspects. However to
describe all Hispanics as strongarm robbers wouldn't be right ... the police
officers doing the investigation and followup, and the danger involved in that
process, may be Hispanic as well. The term is a description of these suspects,
nothing more.

It doesn't even describe race. Only probable clothing for that specific part of
the country. Hispanic is a typical government invented word.

The former Consul General of Guatemala in Los Angeles, Eric Avila Whitehead, is a
blue eyed, blonde ... His mother is English. Eric is now serving in Korea.

He, his brother, the rest of the family, were at my wedding in Guatemala.

And the question is a good one. People in other parts of the world who may be
reading this often ask why Americans often are a bit sensitive. The reasons for it
are part of our history. But a description is still just a description.

Glenn

--
Glenn Wm. Thrall

Southern California