To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Hmm Great new question - AGE
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 00:33:26 -0400 (EDT)

I am 56.  I have owned Leica equipment since 1980, when I bought an R3.  My
brother gave me a IIIc about then, and I had a collector/user phase for a
while--had a IIIg with a set of contemporary lenses.  But I bought an M3 and
an M6 when it first came out, and was converted to the newer optics, so
cashed out the screwmount stuff.  Today I have an R5 and an R6, as well as
the M6. I didn't buy Leica because I always wanted it when I was younger, or
something; I just loved the obvious quality of construction and the beauty
when I first became acquainted with it.

Cyclists have a term for people who prefer old-fashioned equipment, and
reject innovation: "retro-grouch."  It seems to capture what the question
you asked is after.  I don't think I am one, though I somehow haven't
converted to another SLR system despite Leica's tendency to trail at a safe
distance behind in SLR innovation.

I suppose I am better heeled than the average (I've been a college professor
and Dean), but, as someone pointed out, you can often buy Leica, use it for
a few years, and sell it at a profit.  I did that with the screwmount stuff
and the M3, so I have managed to keep my expenditures and sales in a kind of
equilibrium for a while.  All these updated R lenses and the R8 do pose a
problem, though!

Charlie
Charles E. Love, Jr.
517 Warren Place