To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Serial number interpretations
From: "Roger L. Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 06:53:41 -0700 (MST)

At 08:47 PM 10/5/96 -0600, George Huczek wrote:
>Can someone tell me how to interpret the age of an M6 with a #190
>serial number? Also, what should the serial number be on a new
>M6?

190xxxx would indicate 1991 or 1992, George.

A brand new one would depend on how long it has been on the dealer's shelf.
Leica has become circumspect to even now no longer making serial number
information available. The last firm numbers available take us up to the
silver chrome M6 made in 1992 having numbers 1926001 to 1932000 (Per
Rogliatti). Beyond that we must deduce and interpolate.

I'm sure some on here with access to very late bodies will give some
examples from recent purchases. Mine is a 1992, BUT when I win the raffle
conducted by the LHSA here in Tucson this coming week, I'll let you know
what a late number is. :-)
--
Roger Beamon,  Naturalist & Photographer
                          Docent:  Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum