To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Additional thoughts
From: dlevy@worldy.com
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 20:37:32 -0400

At 01:15  06/10/96 -0700, you wrote:
>>BTW, I'm withdrawing from the list as of now. I'm not wasting time checking
>>and deleting messages from adolescent 40 year olds telling each other to
>>give them a break.

I know I addresssed this with you just a short while ago, but here is
something to ponder before you withdraw.

I have been on the LUG for less than 3 weeks. In that time I have initiated
3 topics; 1) the CL/M5 question and 2) the age question and 3) professional
camera definition. I think that the response to these questions has been
informative. I was absolutely surprised at the response regarding the CL/M5
which has spread to the CLE, lens interchangability, what users would like
to see in future Leicas, etc. Many of the responses can and may further
invite comment on the newer non-slr and M models. The background of the
members may have been covered previously, but because of the response, I
think that many of us now have a better idea of who we collectively are and
maybe to whom we can address future questions to. The professional
definition is till somewhat perplexing because after looking at the
still being applied to enforce opinions and conclusions.

I have found the mugging thread to be informative in that I have just
located from a small population in Florida to Toronto with a far larger
population. Previously, I had no concerns with or thought of criminal
activity or how to reduce the risks. This discussion has poured over to the
photoforum group and is addressing issues such as how to reduce physical
exposure and advertising what is being carried and used.

The newest topic relating to the Leicaflex is interesting since I think of
it as the last true Leica SLR (SL2) and have seriously considered it for a
user. I have already learned that the later lenses won't work on it and like
the earliest lenses would need modification.

While the discussion of the scratching of the top plate of the M and the MR
is not my cup of tea.

When I first signed on, there was a discussion related to flare in various
generations of lenses. I was not up to speed, but this issue may arise again
as I start to built my next Leica system.

We the users make the group. With your input we all can learn and become better.
Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto, Ont.
dlevy@worldy.com