To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Emotive lenses
From: dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 96 02:46 BST-1
Cc: dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk

> OK, but as someone with a foot in both camps (leica's and tube amps),
> could I just point out that the people in rec.photo.latest.whizz-bang
> are all laughing at us using the awful old mechanical stuff.

Yes, but I'm laughing back at them, eye-controlled focus? WTF? And have
you *seen* what they regard as an 'old' camera that they want to upgrade?
They're usually several years younger than my newest one (and they're
often broken in some way).

Still, I love automatics which don't work, hopeless TTL matrix metering
which can't touch an incident or proper spot meter with a bargepole,
28-300 zoom lenses with hopeless definition/distortion and tiny maximum
apertures, titchy little on-camera flash-guns and small APS negs. It
means that the poor fools will never match my images, which means I can
keep selling them!

> Tha argument runs true, if you can't believe its better, go and check
> it out, you just might be wrong.
>
> Leica's can let you take the best pictures, valves let you hear the
> best music.

I like *some* valve hi-fi amps, and am about to buy another Audio
Innovations one, but some are expensive nonsense.

> p.s. guitar amps that distort were made on purpose like 90 mm Thambar
> lenses. :-)

Leo Fender knew *exactly* what he was doing.

dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk      |  "The loss of an old man
david@cassandra.compulink.co.uk  |  is like the destruction
Kilburn, London, England.        |  of a library"