To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M-6 Film Advance Problem (and Age)
From: "Roger J. Flanigan" <istr1848@fox.nstn.ca>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 1996 03:04:22 -0700

Michael R. Friedberg wrote:

> I'd appreciate it if some of you would help me diagnose a problem with my
> M-6. I figure that it has to be haunted.
>
> About 3 rolls of film ago, the film advance stuck on the 12th frame of the
> roll. As I moved the lever, there was increasing pressure and ultimately the
> film wouldn't advance. I figured I had a bad roll of film and switched
> brands. Next roll had the same problem --somewhere between the 10th and 15th
> frame was a multiple exposure.
>
> I tried a third roll, being extra careful not to inadvertently touch the
> rewind lever. Same problem at about frame 12-- the film wouldn't advance.
>
> The first frames on each roll are centered and sharp when developed, so I
> doubt that "crooked" loading is involved. It doesn't seem to be the film.
> When there's no film in the body, the lever/shutter/number operation also
> work without problem. I thought maybe the film was slipping when a roll was
> in the camera between use, but that wouldn't explain the resistance on the
> lever, I think. While I guess it could be the rewind lever (perhaps putting
> the camera in my bag or taking it out) I've been careful to avoid that.
>
> Anyone ever have this problem? Even if not, any bright ideas --other than
> the supernatural?

The problem is caused by a nut in the rewind crank mechanism which, once
loose,
will gradually move, with each successive advance of the film, up a
threaded shaft
until, at the end of its travel, it tightens up against the rewind
crank, locking it in place, rendering film advance impossible. Rewinding
the film loosens the nut, temporarily.

BTW, I just turned 33, own an R4s (which has performed flawlessly since
I purchased it in 1984) and six lenses. Definitely not well-heeled and
not stodgy. Grouchy? Hmmm... depends on who you ask, I suppose. :-)

RJF