To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Emotive lenses
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 1996 17:35:18 -0400

Eric

"Prewar" is pre-1 September 1939;  the '50's are a whole different animal.
In the early '30's, when Berek first developed the residual-aberration
technique, Leitz WAS much smaller than almost any major player on the board.
By the '50's -- after the phenomenal success Leitz enjoyed in the '30's and
'40's -- the situation was far different.

Second, I believe my original post was that Leica probably did not
disassemble EVERY lens, but only the lenses of exceptional quality.  Your
comment on the 2.8/300 Nikon and Canon range supports this, as both are
extremely fine lenses.

Third, as to Bob Shell, he hardly owns Shutterbug -- look to the masthead of
the magazine.  Bob has a fairly schlocky close-to-porn studio about forty
miles from me.  I used to be his county attorney, though we've never met.
We do exchange some vicious FAXes on occasion, a practice which will cease
as soon as my current subscription lapses.  I'm TIRED of Regie and Zucker
and so forth.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!