To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: continuing emotion
From: imxputs@knoware.nl (Erwin Puts/imX)
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 08:52:41 +0200

>>>Zeiss, at any rate, is probably too arrogant to really concern itself with
>>>the foibles of others -- they seem to feel that, if they didn't develop it,
>>>it really didn't need to be developed.
>>
>>Boy, that's my impression too. I like their lenses sharpness, but not their
>>look.
>
>With this I have to disagree. I've always liked the look of Leica
>lenses, but Zeiss lenses have also appealed to me through the five
>Rolleis, one Contax and one Hasselblad I've owned over the years.
>
>They are different, and different again from Nikon optics etc,
>but each has its merits in use.
>
>Godfrey

I agree with Godfrey,
The Zeiss lenses are very well respected in the world and second to none,
even Leica. There are more than 60 parameters to evaluate when computing
lenses, excluding the psychological factors.
Zeiss, as I know from personal discussions, are aware of user needs and try
hard to satify them. That their solution may not please everyone, is a
separate discussion point. The time of 'ivory towers' is long gone.
On the latest Photokina they had a large display of pictures taken on Ektar
25 which was the envy of the Leica people who have their booth
traditionaaly opposite.
Erwin Puts