To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Difference between M and R
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 1996 00:08:34 -0700

At 12:42 AM 10/8/96 +0100, you wrote:
>lenses are really very small and fairly light. The R cameras are
>relatively big and noisy and the corresponding lenses can be a lot

True enough, but they are much quieter than most other slrs. So they do
have an advantage over most others. Just not the M system.

The R system has some lenses that are significantly better than the M
system, and visa versa. The main critereon for choosing one or the other is
what you want to photograph. Any other issue is less important in my
opinion. I think we spend too much time worrying if the Summicron isn't as
good as the Elmarit, when in truth they are all Leica lenses, and have the
"look." Use the best lens for the given situation, and you can't go wrong.
It takes knowledge about the photographic process, but that's part of the
fun. Learning!

Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR