To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: CL's Difference
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 17:02:36 -0400

Fred (Ward),

I believe the basic difference between the CL and CLE is the fact that the CL
is completely manual. As such, for other than the meter it's not dependent on
batteries. In that sense it's as dependable as the classic M's. Since I
usually select exposure by judgment and use the CL's meter as a check against
it, I find the CL a true Leica RF.

As for its rebarbative nature, strap, soft case, shutter speed dial, take-up
spool, hinged pressure plate, body architecture, they're all rather
innovative if you look closely. There's a constructive principle behind every
one of those departures that all add up to very high quality negatives. The
tradeoff is that the camera must be handled with some care during loading.
I've discovered that the more I use the CL the less irksome are its novel
aspects. I've been using it regularly since I bought it back in the 70's. Any
difficulty I ever had with it, other than tolerance adjustments during the
guarantee period, were my fault. Those problems were easily solved by Leitz
or Professional at 47 Street, here in NYC.

The CL attracts no attention in the field, as is true of its sister, the CLE,
and its lenses are first rate. If I had to travel light in remote territory
I'd prefer the CL to the CLE. The viewfinder is crystal clear and the
rangefinder is accurate and precise.
A +3 eyepiece magnifier makes it even better -- if you're lucky enough to
find one.

The CL is a different camera and there's a good reason for it. Those old
Leitz designers and engineers knew what they were doing, and may be still
ahead of us. I know that may sound strange to you, but I become more aware of
that fact as I use the CL. You want the best in a classic compact Leica? You
got it in the CL.

Here's hoping that Leica will grace us with a worthy variation true to its
spirit. I think a lot of Leica users will take to it. That's not to say they
won't have an M in the other hand for balance. Leica will sell two cameras
instead of one. What they lose on the body, they'll make up on those two
grand lenses.

Bob Rosen