To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Emotive lenses
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 16:47:00 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for this comment--I couldn't agree more.  The Mayer stuff was the
worst published photography I have ever seen--as you say, he doesn't even
know to use Reala or another print film.  And of course we cannot forget the
eccentric Roger Hicks--note his equipment choices!  However, to be fair,
they have a problem:  as I understand it, there had to be a certain
percentage of editorial content (as opposed to ads) for Shutterbug to get
the reduced mail rate--hence the death of the classified ad tabloid and the
creation of the magazine.  And it is the best source of current pricing
information on old and new Leicas!

At 08:22 AM 10/8/96 -0700, you wrote:
>At 06:08 AM 10/8/96 BST-1, you wrote:
>>I keep seeing references to it, what *is* Shutterbug?
>
>It used to be a wonderful little classified ad tabloid. Yellow paper,
>nothing but classifieds. Now it's a big oversized magazine that has way too
>many cheesy articles by mediocre to terrible photographers talking like
>they know what they're talking about.
>
>For example, the pictures in November that are remarkably bad are by Rober
>Mayer testing a Vivitar 19-35 zoom. The guy couldn't take a picture to save
>his life. They're so dark (slide film in mercury vapor light? Give me....er
>how terrible!) you can hardly see the subject, and it's bathed in green.
>
>But the classifieds are still useful, and the ads have mostly honest
>dealers, unlike the New York Collection in most other mags. Not that all
>the dealers are bad in the other mags, but Shutterbug has a different
>group, mostly.
>
>Oh, and it's based in the U.S. but has a few Canadian dealers.

>Eric Welch
>Grants Pass, OR

Charles E. Love, Jr.
517 Warren Place