To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Shutterbug
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 22:14:56 -0400

At 05:22 PM 10/9/96 -0400, Charles E Love, Jr, wrote:

>Still, Bob seems to me to be fairly undiscriminating--he LOVES Russian
stuff, and
>even at its best those Kievs are surely (relative to what else is available
>in medium format) bad products.

Well, Mr Love, there has NEVER been a Russian Kiev camera -- they're
Ukrainian.  Second, the cameras are not all that awful, they're merely quite
uneven in quality control and the bad ones are QUITE bad, though the good
ones are, equally, quite good.  Third, the Kiev MF cameras have lenses which
are clones of either Zeiss Oberkochen or of Zeiss Jena glass -- superlative
lenses.  Fourth, the entry price on these systems is rather low:  you can
buy an '88, two backs, and a couple of lenses with the meter-prism for what
you pay for a fair middlin' old Rolleiflex.

I shoot Hassie and Rollei and a Super Ikonta in MF:  but I have had a bunch
of Kiev cameras and would be still, if I hadn't swapped my last one even for
a Hassie.  I DID keep the meter prism:  works to within a sixth-stop, by the
way.  Nice stuff.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!