Subject: Re: Alpa (Off Topic)
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 09:40:19 -0400 (EDT)

The Alpa 12, a 645 medium format camera,  will cost, according to their Web
page, $10,000 (US), including lens.  To read the rest of the information
about it, their page is at:  <http://www.alpa.ch/alpa/alpa12.html>.  If you
think Leicas and their users are eccentric, wait till you read this stuff!
One tidbit, to whet your appetite: The camera allows the use of Hasselblad
lenses, but in order to do that you have to have the lens modified, which
makes the lens unusable on the Blad!  Also, for a while they talked about
having an uncoupled rangefinder!  (Now they seem to have come to their
senses about that.)

At 04:20 PM 10/9/96 PDT, you wrote:
>Gentlemen:
>
>A while back there was (because of their past cameras) quite a discussion on
>this list about ALPA being back in business...
>
>Yesterday I received an unsolicited brochure on the Alpa 12 6x6cm camera,
>and one paragraph quite scares me.
>
>"How much does the Alpa 12 cost?  A great deal, we are sorry to say.
>Technological perfection, coupled with small production runs have their
>price. We inform genuinely interested prospective buyers personally."  (!)
>
>I am not an "interested prospective buyer" and so would not have the gall to
>ask them. But I'm curious particulary since we all know that Leica's don't
>come cheaply, and Leica *will* tell us the price! Does anybody know what is
>the going rate on the Alpa?

>David Young: youngs@IslandNet.com Victoria B.C. CANADA
>
>	I cook with wine. Sometimes
>		I even put it in the food!