Subject: 135mm Focal Length Was Re: Leica CLs & other compact rangefinders
From: "C.M. Fortunko" <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 08:08:28 -0600

Friends,

I know that 135mm lenses are available for Leica M cameras. Yet, I don't use
them very often. Somehow, this focal length does not appear to be very
useful on the M camera.

My feeling is that if you need 135mm, then you might as well use the
180/200mm lenses and an R camera.

To me, the 50mm focal length appears to best focal length for the M camera.
This may be because I wear glasses. Otherwise, the 35 or 40mm lenses would
also be OK. I also wish that there was an M6 with an M3 viewfinder, which I
find to be superior.

I have 90mm lenses, which I use occasionally to take pictures of my daughter
in the swimming pool. This is because I cannot get close enough to use a
50mm. I also use it in Colorado and adjacent states to cut out offending
things like utility poles and wires. Otherwise, the 50mm is my mainstay.

Speaking of 90mm lenses, the new Elmarit is a great lens. However, my old
90mm (fat) Tele-Elmarit is a bit more forgiving in certain situations,
especially when wide open. These lenses meet all of my needs for a telephoto.

I am a big fan of the 35,40, and 50 mm lenses, because they are so compact,
provide high-quality, and facilitate snapshooting. Somehow, I don't seem to
appreciate the vitures of wider-angle lenses. One of these years, I will buy
one, providing a get a big award, inheritance, or something of that sort.

Any more 50mm shooters out there?

Best regards,

Chris