Subject: Re: 50mm focal length
From: Daniel Cardish <dcardish@spherenet.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 16:37:40 -0400

At 08:21 AM 13/10/96 -0600, you wrote:
>Friends,
>
>I would like to find out how many of you prefer the 50mm focal length to
>other focal lengths.
>
>If you prefer other focal lengths on the M camera, I would like to know why.
>
>My reasons for using the 50mm length have nothing to do with the teachings
>of Cartier Bresson. I simply like this length. [snip]

I too like the 50mm.  I shoot a lot of figure studies, and I like including
a lot of the background into the frame.  Longer focal lengths tend to
concentrate too much on the model.  An even better lens is the 75mm
Summilux.  This lens is a lot like the 50 in turns of background inclusion,
but is long enough to avoid the wide angle distortion one gets when getting
in too close with the 50.  Mine is an early model with the clip on hood
which I picked up second hand (excuse me, previously owned)  relatively
cheaply, but it is still a very expensive lens.  Also, it is heavy, and
spoils the balance of the M-Leica.  But it is a great lens in every other
regard.

Dan Cardish  <dcardish@spherenet.com>
                        <http://www.spherenet.com/dcardish/photo.htm>