Subject: Hologons...
From: Michael Hintlian <102144.2651@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 14 Oct 96 07:38:16 EDT

<<
>Can we convert the Zeiss G-Hologon to fit Leica-M?>>

In tests of both the Hologon Camera (15mm f8 permanently mounted in a converted
Contarex body) and the G1 Hologon there are a few things that come right to the
surface.  First of all the performance of both lenses appears to be identical --
I tested the lenses under actual shooting conditions with Tri-X and made 16 X 20
prints using a V35 enlarger.  I didn't shoot a test pattern or a brick wall but
the same subjects using both lenses with their ND filters attached.  They are
fabulously sharp lenses.

In practical use, the Hologon Camera is huge, the sample I had made oversized
images on the negative such that they nearly touched each other...no spacing
between.  Its a hard camera to use from the simple standpoint that its worth so
much money...its all mechanical and a bit like the last version of the Panzer
tank.  The G1 hologon has all of the features of the earlier version but it has
a short focus helicoil...I'm not sure what difference this makes but its there
and I use it for whatever its worth.  On the G1 (or on an M camera...using
imagination here) the 16mm Hologon makes a very tight package, because the AF is
turned off with the Hologon, the G1 doesn't do its hesitate-search-hestiate-fire
routine...simple press the shutter and bang.  The brightline finder is pretty
accurate and has a level-bubble in it on a prism to help square the camera.

If you are interested, the G1 16mm Hologon is the genuine article, made by Zeiss
at the factory in Oberkochen and its behavior is consistent with its heritage.
The company in Munich that does the conversions to M-mount has a very good
reputation for high quality work...at $1200 per conversion (you buy the lens) it
should be.  Photography on Bald Mountain in California has also done some
conversions I understand...I have no information about their work other than it
was about half the price of the German conversion.  As I am told, the conversion
is very simple as the Contax mount leaves plenty of room for the work to be
done.  I am also told that the conversion, once done, is irreversable.

About the wait.  Some dealers have recieved and quickly sold their lenses after
long waiting periods.  Best bet is to call around...I understand that Tamarkin
in Connecticut has one for sale now...if your interested.

Best.

Mike Hintlian