Subject: More 50 mm fun
From: Vondauster@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 11:58:21 -0400

Hi All,

OK, one more vote for the lowly 50mm lens, especially on the Leica M. An
observation:

Yes, when a lot of us started in photography the 50mm was the standard lens,
for all the reasons we've read over the years; its "natural" perspective, the
fact that it was the first common 35mm format lens, etc. But think about the
last 10 years, at least, in consumer 35mm photography. Most point and shoot
cameras, including those made by Leica, come with 35mm focal length lenses as
standard. I maintain that whatever the relative merits of that focal length,
most people are now used to the 35mm perspective and coverage, which makes
the 50mm considerably less common - boring, if you will - than it once was.

When I run out the door with only one camera and lens, which is admitedly
rare, it will almost always be my M6 and new collapsible 50mm Elmar. Before
acquiring that lens, the various 50mm Summicrons (I believe I have owned all
of the variants) were my standard lens. I still prefer it for group
portraits, ie more than one person, when space limitations allow it.

Interesting thread.

Will