Subject: Re: Favorite Tips/Techniques
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 11:47:06 -0700

At 01:43 AM 10/15/96 -0800, you wrote:
>I have a 35mm Durst enlarger and a Beseler 23CII. The only significant
>difference between a Focomat and either of the above, except for the
>lens, would be if they did not hold the film, lens and enlarging board
>in rigid alignment or if they were prone to moving about while making
>an exposure ... neither of them are faulty in this respect, far as I

Ah, but there's more. The mixing chamber on the V35 gives it a fall-off of
only 1/10 stop from center to edge, and according to reports I've read,
that's about the best there is. Plus autofocus once calibrated makes the
darkroom experience much more pleasurable. No more futzing with raise the
head, refocus, lower the head, refocus, raise less, focus, lower less,
focus. That's a major problem if you ask me, and using the Beseler 23C at
work is a major pain after using the V35.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR

Retirement: When you quit working just before your heart does.