Subject: Re: 50mm focal length
From: dlevy@worldy.com
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 20:22:51 -0400

At 01:21  15/10/96 -0400, you wrote:

>I can recall reading in a past issue of Leica Photographie about why Leica
>continued to have these specialty lens made in Canada.  One reason was that
>the people in the Midland plant had built up many years of experience that
>would be difficult to reproduce in Germany.  Also in terms of wages and
>exchange rates it is cheaper to make them in Canada.
>

>Dan Cardish  <dcardish@spherenet.com>
>                        <http://www.spherenet.com/dcardish/photo.htm>

Several years ago, when I first started to come to this area regularly, I
called Midland to see if I could take a look at the Leica assembly. After
several calls, I got a rather curt call back and the caller essentially
stated that while they were assembling lenses for Leica, they were not
producing them. He was rather emphatic that I cease calling for a tour and
that the facility WAS NOT OPEN for the public because of other things that
Hughes did. I did find out that apparently produce military optical devices
at this particular facility besides electronic components. I guess Leica
assembly, like military designs is considered top secret.  Has anybody
toured the facility since Leica sold it to Hughes?
Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto, Ont.
dlevy@worldy.com