Subject: Hugo Eckener Website
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 08:52:53 -0400

Dr Hugo Eckener was the real father of the rigid airship and commanded Graf
Zeppelin on her maiden voyage.  He was also an early fan of the Leica and
received two of the early presentation cameras.  Oscar Barnack rode on a
Zeppelin in 1914 -- probably the Viktoria Luise though the Leica folks
apparently cleaned out this information over the past twenty years and could
not confirm that this was the airship involved -- and took an early aerial
picture with the UR-Leica.  I believe that Eckener was good friends with
Barnack, as he was also with Dr Porsche (that damned car thread again!).

In any event, there's a WEB page for Dr Eckener which was just posted to the
LTA LISTSERV and there may be some Leica pictures on this, though I've not
had a chance to check it out yet:

>	(Infinet-S-3.3) id XAA13643; Tue, 15 Oct 1996 23:46:36 -0400 (EDT)
>Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 22:07:58 -0400
>Sender: owner-airship-list@lists.Colorado.EDU
>From: Allen Markman <forbin@interport.net>
>To: airship-list@lists.Colorado.EDU
>Subject: Hugo Eckener Website
>
>There's an excellent webpage (in German) by the Flensburg, Germany
>State Archives Director, Dr. Broder Schwensen, on Hugo Eckener, the
>zeppelin pioneer.
>
>The address is http://www.flensburg-online.de/geschich/eckener1.html.
>
>It contains many photos, most of which I have never seen in any other
>publication.
>
>Up Ship,
>Allen Markman ;>
>forbin@interport.net