Subject: Re: LHSA Annual Meeting
From: eenitka@ibm.net
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 09:55:50 -0700

C.M. Fortunko wrote:

> Fellow Members of LHSA,
>
> I agree with Marc that a society-wide election might be a good idea. Not all
> of us are retired, wealthy, and able to spend a week in Tuscon.
>
> At the same time, we must recognize that people who show up at the society
> functions are also dedicated. They might, therefore, be better suited to
> serve as officers, etc.
> As a new member to LHSA I am of course happy to have such an organization
around.  I also think that from a purely democratic standpoint elections
must be membership wide not just those that attend the annual mtg.  I think that those
who do get elected need to be dedicated to the organization; in most organizations
those that are very active are generally rewarded by the whole membership with
elected positions.  What I'm saying is that you might not notice a change in
leadership with open elections but at least all would feel that they participated.

Ernie Nitka