Subject: Re: lens tests
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 07:10:54 -0700

At 12:44 AM 10/20/96 -0800, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

>So whether Pop Photog's lens test are more accurate or better thought
>out than BAS or ColorFoto's is relatively inconsequential as long as
>they are honest, give the parameters they are testing, and are
>consistent in methodology. I'm more interested in what the photo
>editors have to say about how the lenses produce an image than
>with lines/mm numbers or contrast numbers.

True, but Pop Photo is rather slavishly enslaved to advertisers, like
Peterson's Photographic is, as well. I am a friend of David Brooks, who
used to be editor of Petersons. (He lives in Eugene, OR., now. Which
reminds me, Bob Rosen, I'm working on a reply to your message on the
subject of Eugene!) And he is rather critical of what Peterson's has turned
into - an advertorial rag that is in no way objective in relation to the
products they review. I find it disgusting.

>one sometimes. Anything produced by Leica has been generally speaking
>a very superior optic, same for most of the Nikon AI-S series and
>Zeiss lenses. They each have their different qualities which is why
>it's so much fun to work with each of them.

That's for sure!

Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR

Ever notice how fast a Mac runs? Neither did I.