Subject: Re: Hektor 135mm /SM
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 10:34:28 -0400 (EDT)

At 11:05 AM 10/18/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Leitz manufactured almost 70,000 of these lenses in LTM or M mount between
>1933 and 1960, more than half of this production being coated.  There is
>thus a huge reservoir of these lenses out there, and this -- plus the slow
>speed of the lens -- keeps the price down.  The same phenomena afflicts the
>4/90 Elmar.
>
>Still, the Hektor is a great performer.
>
>Marc

Yes--I once owned both a very late Hector and its successor,  the 135 f4
Elmar, which was reputed to be much better (and is much more expensive
today).  They looked very much alike--and I could see no difference in their
performance either.  I wonder how they stack up with the current 135 f4
tele-Elmar (which has been around since 1965).  I also wonder if that lens
is still competitive with other 135's (though that focal length is not
popular any more, what with the rise of zooms, so there probably aren't any
relatively new designs out there).  Mr. Puts, are you listening?--Charlie

Charles E. Love, Jr.
517 Warren Place
Ithaca, New York
14850