Subject: Re: mini2 vs. mini3
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 96 09:06:06 -0800

>Well, neither are made in Germany, they have 'plastic bodies', don't have
>interchangable lenses, don't have a rangefinder like the M series, can't use
>a visoflex, don't look, feel, or have the professional qualities of the M6,
>therefore I vote to hold out, save your pennies and go to the M.

Brian's observations are perfectly true and valid, however a Leica Mini
series camera is a superb photographic instrument which fills a niche
quite
different from that of a Leica M. I have had both, taken excellent
pictures
with both, taken junk pictures with both. More importantly, I'll carry
the Minizoom at times and places that I would never consider carrying the
M.  I can hand it to a random stranger to snap a picture and include
me in the photo with good results. Etc. It's also half the size and 1/3
the weight of just an M with one lens, and the lens quality is excellent.

I have a nice photograph, handheld at night in San Francisco on B&W then
hand
(well, PhotoShop ;) tinted which demonstrates to me just how good a little
piece of plastic pigshit like this can work. If anyone wants to see it,
I'd
be happy to mail it to you in exchange for comments.

Godfrey