Subject: 135mm Fashion
From: Michael Reichmann <michael.reichmann@alphanet.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 09:20:09 -0400

>>As far as other 135's go, they are practically obsolete on SLR's because, I
>>think, of the rise a number of years ago of the portable f4 75-200 zooms,
>>which are not, these days, too much bigger than the Leica R 135 and lose
>>only 1 stop.  Nevertheless, I like the extra stop, and find 135 a useful length.

Charlie,

It's funny how the 135mm focal length seems to come and go in
popularity.  I grew up in photography in the '60s and the 135 was at
that time a cornerstone focal length.  Then the 85/90 became popular,
especially for portait type shots.

I've had the f/4.0 135mm Tele-Elmar for my M6 for several years, but
recently sold it.  A superb lens, but on an M6 not all that usable
because of the small frame.

I still love the focal length though, and the 135mm f/2.8 Sonnar on my
Contax RTSIII is a joy.  I don't find any overlap with the 85/90 focal
length, and in fact have the 85mm f/1.4 Planar as well when I need speed
and a bit less reach.

Now to do a comparison test of the 85mm f/1.4 Planar vs the 90mm Elmar
on my M6.  :-)

Michael