Subject: Re: R8 Autofocus Hypothesis
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 19:55:20 -0800

Roger & Michael:

If they come out with an R9 AF within a year, there are going to be
some very angry people.  Me, for one.

Mike Blanchot, Leica rep in So Cal, said Leica toyed with Contax style
AF a decade ago, but decided that moving the film plane rather than
the internal element that normally controls focus, made conpromises in
the image quality that were unacceptable to Leitz.

Is this logical??  If it is, consider how a view camera focuses.

If the R9AF is true, I sure hope they improve on the Contax's
stuttering design, though I give contax credit for pushing into new
ground.

Donal Philby